Wednesday, July 10, 2013

War Mode for the 20th Century

Chps 21, 22, 23


I don’ know if you guys relate to my feelings, but after reading the last three chapters, I felt like it was more familiar than when I was reading about the very beginnings of humans and their societies development. A couple of weeks ago, nine to be exact, I had only lingering knowledge about some of the world history, to be honest If you asked me a question about a silk road or the Atlantic echoes of revolution, I would have frowned and just stare at the person asking me, but my mind completely blank.
I was also very surprised at how little I knew about the World Wars and how little attention I have put to the topic most of my life.  It was until I read the years they happened that I realized it has not been too long ago, relatively speaking. 

After focusing on finding tools, spreading over the world, revolutionizing agriculture, learning how to trade and discovering a new continent, humans have finally found themselves in a very unfriendly situation – A world war. What’s interesting to me about the war is that after humans were very united and they all worked for a common purpose, throughout the years, the more knowledge men acquired the more they started dividing and forming allies in the search for power and control.

The best example of such division, at least for me, has been the Holocaust. It is absolutely degrading to think about the value that men can give to a human being.  The Holocaust is a product of some of the atrocities committed to innocent people. For example, this type of behavior was seen during the cash crop, when if slaves were not able to produce as expected, they were mutilated.

On another note, one of the good outcomes from the WW’s is that the U.S. was able to develop as a great power economically, socially and military, and although the U.S. suffer a really bad economic fall which we know as the Great Depression, it is still a very stable country that provides a home for thousands of people from diverse cultures and many different countries.  However, I still think that it was pretty bad that the two atomic bombs were dropped and killed thousands of innocent residents in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Another point that I would like to talk about is Africa and their leader, Nelson Mandela.  After reading the chapter, I decided to do a little research and found a movie called “Invictus”, in which the life of Mandela as a president was well described.  I feel nothing but sadness now that I know he is sick and the world might loose a great leader like he is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment