Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Taking over the world... Globalization... AND the participation of women in the post modern Era

Chpt 24.


Who would have thought that early in the history of humans three roads were going to open such a big gate for the development of the economic world we now get to experience.  Throughout our LONG readings, we have been able to learn about the many challenges humans have had in order to enjoy what all of us do right now. 

It is super exciting, after reading the book I now pay more attention to my surroundings. This chapter made me notice how every day we get to wear clothes that have been made in different countries.  From the moment I wake up and brush my teeth with my “made in china” brush, until I go to bed and lay my head on an Egyptian cotton fabric pillow case, I am part of the whole globalization culture and because of my constant consumption I keep it going. 

The only negativity I can find about such globalization, besides the Barbie doll (I never liked her), is that humans keep oppressing the ones that are less fortunate.  Sometimes the clothes we wear are made by people who barely get paid and who spend long and tiring hours in a factory, sewing and putting fabrics together.  This situation goes back in history to the cash crops. They say that history repeats itself, are we doing the same with all those people who spend long hours at work and do not have any benefits?. 

In past eras, battles were being held because of power and the hunger for control.  I think that it has not changed much lately.  Nowadays power also plays a big role in societies, except that it is not through conquering or killing others in order to obtain pride and glory; nowadays having power means being more stable, financially, and show the people that money is capable of buying everything and making us feel important.

In previous eras we notice that the ones always wanting power and recognition were men, now it looks like gender does not matter and we all are closer to obtain the “enlightenment” and the search for perfection and equality.  Women are no longer just in agriculture or a decoration of a room, now women are able of going out there get an education and conquer the world just like men used to.  Except in some countries where women are still not allowed to even show their faces, or just be seen like sexual tool to make profit or even just to be the ones staying at home cleaning and taking care of the families.  To what point are women equal nowadays and in which regions?

From what I see now, humans are finally paying more attention to nature and to the damage we have put earth through all these years. The fact that men and women can equally participate when looking for better ways to improve the environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment